Odds and ends, bits and bobs. Whatever catches my interest. Nothing too personal here.
Galaxy Quest (1999)
I had originally not wanted to see Galaxy Quest because I heard that it was making fun of Star Trek. Then Jonathan Frakes rang me up and said ‘You must not miss this movie! See it on a Saturday night in a full theater.’ And I did, and of course I found it was brilliant. Brilliant. No one laughed louder or longer in the cinema than I did. - Patrick Stewart
Galaxy Quest is a cinematic masterpiece and if you believe otherwise you should seek help immediatelyOne of my favourite facts is that George Takei has called it “chillingly realistic”.
what ableism is
- actively making fun of disabled people
- deliberately triggering someone’s mental illnesses (such as doing something to mess with their ocd, or trying to trigger a mood swing if they’re bipolar, trying to trigger a breakdown if they have anxiety issues)
- asking a disabled person to do something they obviously can’t for the sake of humor and cheap laughs
- using them as the butt of a joke
what ableism isn’t
- a teenager calling someone on the internet stupid